Today, we finally made some progress on the garden!
The raised bed now has soil and some plants (peas, odourless onions and pickling onions, beetroot, and cauliflower… Half are seeds, and the rest are seedlings).
We also began the Citrus Grove. Around the pool, the plan is to have a mass of citrus, and a few frangipani (that and roses are currently the only non-food plants we’re planning).
So today we put in Puggle’s Blood Orange (a sixth birthday present), a Eureka Lemon (because it’s not an Australian backyard without a lemon:-) ), and an Okasii Mandarin… Early fruiting, seedless, and easy to peel.
We also picked up some Marjoram and Thyme seedlings to stick in the herb garden across the back fence.
Cygnet planted out some watermelon seeds in what will be one of the rose gardens. Not sure that they’ll do much, as it’s currently unreticulated, and the seeds were kind of old… But it’s worth a try:-)
Previously, I used freecycle to get rid of a stack of non-food plants, and we’ve moved a bushy Rosemary (from what will be the asparagus bed) to beside the front gate.
At this point, the only part of the garden we haven’t begun is the orchard.
And the best bit is that everything we bought, we planted!
I’m loving REAL Science Odyssey’s Life. This week’s activity was to make blood, using beans and glucose and split peas:-)
Many years ago, I planted a Pink Lady apple in the yard (my favourite apple). It’s never done much (about twelve months ago I found that apparently it does need a cross pollinator, after all).
We’re about to move, and given its small stature (it’s not quite as tall as me), and great sentimental value, we thought we’d try digging it out and moving it. We realise it may not survive, but given the block will be cleared within about 12 months anyway, we figured it was worth the attempt.
So, we dug it out. I did a bit of reading beforehand that suggested not pruning ahead of time—so the tree can ‘choose’ which leaves to drop. Things were looking pretty dubious for a bit. It was high summer and it was looking pretty dry with leaves dropping left right and centre. We had put the pot right near the tap so we could water it often and hoped for the best.
Finally, it seemed to stabilise. It still looked pretty iffy, but we didn’t think leaves were falling off so much. And then… We noticed flowers! Lots of them! Previously, it had produced an apple just after it went in the ground, but in the intervening years we’d had only occasional flowers, that never lasted long.
We realise that it still won’t be pollinated (at the new house we plan to get it a Granny Smith companion:-) ), but we think the flowers are a good sight that we haven’t actually killed it yet:-)
Sunday breakfast a couple of weeks ago. Using the Kenwood, it was really easy:-) I used the Gourmet Traveller basic recipe, and filled it with ever so slightly cooked apple.
I’m a little behind with this month’s folk song… I had decided to do ‘a Eureka song’, but hadn’t actually decided which, so I’m now looking to choose it. There are quite a number:-) Ideally, I want one that mentions key facts (when, where, who and why), that I can find a pleasing recording for, that is engaging, and if I could find sheet music, that would be fabulous!
Along the way, I came across this site>. I think I still have an odd one or two uncertain slots ahead, and there have in the past been one or two months where we struggled to find a recording… So I think I’ll be making use of this site in the future to fill in any remaining gaps!
Alisa at Champagne and Socks included a TED talk in one of her recent posts. She missed her stops a few times for it, and I delayed going to bed because I was watching it…
Here’s an interesting looking book… One I plan to follow up.
HT: Macbeth’s Opinion